Finding Support as a Homeschooler in New York
Are you looking for support as a homeschooler in New York? It is always a good idea to find support to help you through this journey. Between learning the law, filling out the paperwork, figuring out the end of the year assessments, finding tutors or resources in your community, or just for a place to inspire and encourage you is essential. There is nothing like finding “your people,” people who can understand where you are coming from and what you are going through. Being able to open up, ask questions, vent frustrations, and celebrate milestones with others is truly needed when taking on the role as a homeschool parent.
Finding homeschool support near you
- New York is a pretty big area, and depending on your borough or neighborhood, some areas may have more help than others. Don’t feel defeated if your neighborhood doesn’t have homeschool support. If you are finding it challenging to find hyperlocal groups it is always a great idea to trailblaze your own with a few local homeschool families or to use social media to help you through the homeschooling journey and to meet new people in your area. We have a group which is geared towards New York but not limited only to New York on Facebook; we share a ton of resources, feel free to join us here.
- New York Home Educators’ Network (NYHEN) is a state-wide organization of homeschoolers, you can learn about the latest changes in homeschooling regulations in New York. They also provide a list of NY State groups that are organized by location which you can view here.
- Loving Education at Home (LEAH) is a Christian homeschool support group in New York state, and you can get more details here.
- You may also be able to find New York Homeschool Groups in this listing from Homeschool World, the official website of Practical Homeschooling Magazine.
- New York City Home Educators Alliance (NYCHEA) is a secular organization which exists to; support and inform families who choose homeschool, inform the general public about homeschool, protect our right to homeschool, provide social occasions and group educational experiences for members families. They charge 42 dollars a year for membership.
New York has a thriving community of homeschoolers, with groups forming in almost every neighborhood, doing a little research at any of these sites provided you are bound to find support. If you have found a group you love here in New York, please let us know in the comments. Homeschooling is fantastic, but it can be overwhelming and isolating at times. You don’t need to homeschool all alone. Get support for yourself and your children. If you feel like an outsider in your homeschool community, don’t give up, keep looking until you find the right fit and you can always be apart of our community over on facebook.
Pin it for later