Do you need help teaching your children math in your homeschool? Looking for something that will have your child believing they can do it and feeling good about Math instead of stressed? Mr. D Math may be the thing you are looking for.
Learning Pre-Algebra with Mr. D Math
If you have been a reader here for any length of time, you probably know my own struggles with math. The stress of figuring out how to help my children have a better relationship with math has been an ongoing struggle, especially with my daughter, who seems to struggle with it at times. When I decided to try Mr. D Math with her, she was hesitant, to say the least, and now she actually feels like she can do this. Before I share more about learning pre-algebra with Mr. D Math, please take a moment to pin this post to your homeschool board.
What is Mr.D Math?
Mr. D Math is created by Dennis DiNoia, a former public school teacher with a background in business and counseling. He left the public school system to create his own math curriculum with classes from Pre-Algebra to ACT Prep. His curriculum is designed for homeschoolers to work independently with lessons, quizzes, assignments, and solutions. There are two different options in the curriculum. You can choose a self-paced curriculum which is what we are using for Pre-Algebra, or a live class.
We are currently using the self-paced option for pre-algebra. My daughter logs into the site and is given a list of lessons for the year. She goes into the chapter that she is working on and watches the videos, does the course work and online quizzes. The videos can be viewed as often as the student needs and paused to jot down some notes. Mr. D also provides an outline to which you can download and print and add notes to. The online quizzes will be recorded in their class grade. She does receive messages from Mr. D about Live Help sessions if she needs them. There will also be messages just checking in to let her know where she should be for that semester’s completion date.
What does Mr. D Math Pre-Algebra Class Cover?
The Mr.D Math Pre-Algebra course includes a review of basic concepts while introducing more advanced formulas creating a foundation for algebraic thinking. The first chapter introduces math as a language which actually helped my daughter look at math differently.
Pre-Algebra with Mr. D Math includes:
- The Tools and Language of Algebra
- Operations with Integers and the Real Number System
- Solving Equations
- Number Theory – Factors and Fractions
- Number Theory- Place Value and Decimals
- Ratio, Proportion, and Percent
- Graphing Linear Equations
- Introduction to Functions and Relations
- Radical Expressions, Roots, and Exponential Models
- Polynomials and Nonlinear Functions
- Statistics and Probability
Benefits of Mr. D Math:
- Mr. D himself is the number one benefit. He is an amazing teacher that helps children see that they can do anything they put their mind to. He is uplifting, funny, and, I believe, the key component to what makes Mr. D Math so successful.
- An experienced educator- this is huge when you struggle with math yourself. Letting a professional come in and take over is sometimes the best option, and Mr. D Math makes that easy with his online classes.
- Convenience- While putting your kids in brick and mortar classes, hiring tutors, joining a co-op that teaches math are all valid options when it comes to outside help, having a class in the comfort of your own home at your own pace in an amazing benefit.
- Independent learning- While I love helping and teaching my children, having them work independently is important for them as they grow. Mr. D Math is simple enough for your children to do independently, logging into the virtual classroom, watching the lectures, and completing the coursework.
- Step-by-step solutions- the solution guide provided includes step-by-step solutions on how to get to the final answer. This is helpful because most of the time, it is one tiny mistake that throws you off, and it can be hard to find when you are in the moment.
- Grades are recorded for you- Mr. D Math courses provide the opportunity to enter your classwork scores. They also provide short quizzes for each section, chapter tests, and two-semester exams. The final grade is calculated for you.
What Other Classes Does Mr. D Math Provide?
- Algebra I
- Algebra II
- Pre-Calculus with Trigonometry
- Math SAT
- Math ACT
- College and Career Readiness
- Flamenco Dance
- Flamenco Guitar
- Train Like an Olympic Runner
- ASL I, II, or III
- Study Skills (we just started this class and will be sharing more about it)
Grateful for Mr.D Math
I am honestly so grateful to Mr. D Math. While we have only been using it for a little while, I have seen the change in my daughter when it comes to math. She now believes she can do it. If you worry about middle school and high school math in your homeschool, I encourage you to check out Mr. D Math. You won’t regret it.