What you will need:
- A packet of yeast
- A Funnel (optional)
- A small, clean, clear, plastic soda bottle
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Some warm water
- A small balloon
What to do:
- Fill the bottle up with about one inch of warm water.
- Add the yeast packet.
- Gently Swirl the bottle for a few seconds.
- Add a teaspoon of Sugar.
- Gently Swirl the bottle for a few seconds again.
- Blow up the balloon a few times to stretch it out.
- Place the neck of the balloon over the neck of the bottle.
- Let the bottle sit in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
How does it work?
Did you know that yeast is a microscopic fungal organism? When yeast is cold or dry the microorganisms are resting. As it dissolves into the water it becomes active! Or it comes to life. You won’t see the movement since it microscopic. When you add the sugar, the yeast eats the sugar and receives energy. As the yeast eats the sugar, it releases a gas called carbon dioxide. The gas fills the bottle and then fills the balloon as more gas is created.
Check it out in Action!
Pin it later